The LIC Block Party at SculptureCenter is a pretty perfect weekend event for friends, families, artists, neighbors, and pretty much everyone else. There’s live music and performances, booths with fun and interesting goods, artists waiting to lead activities, food, costumes, art from Queens based institutions, etc. What else could you want in a neighborhood block party?
The event will take place this Saturday, August 22nd from 12-5pm at SculptureCenter on Purves St. in LIC (the corner of Jackson Ave. and 43rd Ave.). According to our LIC Block Party Liason, Ben Whine, “The Block Party is a great way for SculptureCenter to share our program and our home on Sculpture Street (also known as Purves Street!) with our community of artists and with Long Island City at large. This year’s event promises to be even bigger and better than ever, taking over the whole of our recently expanded building and much of the street.” Admission is free so there’s no reason not to go.
So here are 8 things you might end up doing if you do go to the LIC Block Party:
1. Meeting and chatting with a variety of local artists ranging from dancers to sculptors to clothing designers, etc.
2. Unleashing your inner artist for the day
3. Working up the courage to learn a new way to move your body
4. Having a silly costumes photo op in the works
5. Watching your kid meet their new best friend at the arts and crafts table
6. Finding that perfect art piece that is both interesting and functional for your book shelf or coffee table
7. Picking up a new hobby
8. Experiencing a different kind of one-on-one interaction
Check out the event site for more info on artists, musicians, food vendors, and more!
All Photos Via Joanne O’Connor & SculptureCenter
SculptureCenter (44-19 Purves St. | (718) 361-1750)
Are you going to the LIC Block Party? Let us know why below in the comments.